The Journal of AHIMA magazine and website accept original, unpublished manuscripts about current issues and best practices in health information management. The Journal seeks articles that present new knowledge, are grounded in experience or applied research, and represent the diversity of new roles in the field.
For authors of academic work, including scholarly and research papers, systematic or meta-analytic literature reviews, education articles, case studies, methodological and evaluation articles, and theory-building papers, are encouraged to submit their manuscripts to AHIMA’s online research journal, Perspectives in Health Information Management.
Potential authors are strongly encourage to review recent issues of the Journal magazine and recent articles published to the Journal website for topics of interest and tone of the publication. Some areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Electronic health records
- Coding and reimbursement
- Information governance
- Health information exchange
- Privacy and security
- Personal health records
To submit a manuscript for consideration:
- Send only original manuscripts. Please do not submit manuscripts that have been published previously or are being considered for publication elsewhere.
- Remain product and vendor neutral. The Journal does not reference products, services, or vendors by name within articles.
- Include a one-paragraph summary of the article, including how the article relates to Journal readers.
- Limit feature articles to 2,000 words. Columns may range from 700 to 1,400 words.
- Feature articles for the web are typically capped at 900 words. If you have interest in creating a longer piece for the web, features with multiple installments are accepted.
- All submissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Please specify if you would like your manuscript to be considered for the magazine, website, or both in your e-mail.
- Include all contact information, including workplace, address, phone number, and e-mail address. If the article has multiple authors, please indicate the primary contact. Please list the credentials and professional titles of all authors.
- Include complete citations for all references work. The Journal follows the Chicago Manual of Style for citations.
- E-mail a Word document of the manuscript to email@example.com.
Authors will be notified upon receipt of manuscript. Unsolicited manuscripts undergo blind review by the Journal’s editorial advisory board. When the review is completed the author will be notified of the outcome.
For more information on manuscript submission, contact the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 233-1121.