The Journal of AHIMA accepts original, unpublished manuscript submissions about current issues and best practices in health information management. The Journal seeks articles that present new knowledge, are grounded in experience or applied research, and represent the diversity of new roles in the field.
Authors of academic work, including scholarly and research papers, systematic or meta-analytic literature reviews, education articles, case studies, methodological and evaluation articles, and theory-building papers, are encouraged to submit their manuscripts to AHIMA’s online research journal, Perspectives in Health Information Management.
Potential authors are strongly encourage to review recent Journal articles to understand topics of interest and tone of the publication. The three impact areas of Integrity, Connection, and Access are of particular interest. These are the broad areas identified in the AHIMA four-year strategic plan to advance the leadership and expertise of our organization and profession across healthcare.
- Integrity: AHIMA advances the knowledgeable, contextual, secure, and appropriate creation and use of health data and leads industry conversations on innovative ways to ensure integrity
- Connection: AHIMA facilitates optimal sharing of data between providers, consumers, health information networks, and health plans through technology-enabled, secure access to electronic health information
- Access: AHIMA guides the industry toward the most effective policies and practices to balance the ever-evolving need for appropriate access to protected health information with ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and security of protected health information
To submit a manuscript for consideration:
- Send only original manuscripts. Please do not submit manuscripts that have been published previously or are being considered for publication elsewhere.
- Remain product- and vendor-neutral. The Journal does not reference products, services, or vendors by name within articles.
- Limit feature articles to 2,000 words. Other submissions may range from 700 to 1,400 words.
- Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Include all contact information, including workplace, address, phone number, and email address. If the article has multiple authors, please indicate the primary contact. Please list the credentials and professional titles of all authors.
- Include complete citations for all references work. The Journal follows the Chicago Manual of Style for citations.
- Email a Word document of the manuscript to email@example.com.
Authors will be notified upon receipt of manuscript. Unsolicited manuscripts undergo blind review by the Journal’s editorial advisory board. When the review is completed, the author will be notified of the outcome.
For more information on manuscript submission, contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.