Patients retain the right to keep their medical records private even after death. The laws surrounding just who has a legal right to view those records can lead to confusing and frustrating situations.

But new rules implemented through the HITECH Act’s HIPAA moficiation final rule have changed the rights of deceased patients and their loved ones to health information.

Below are frequently asked questions, recently updated to reflect the HITECH Act’s changes, on accessing a deceased patient’s medical records. (For more information, read a full feature article here.)

Q: Who may access a deceased person’s medical records?

A: The patient’s designated personal representative or the legal executor of his or her estate has a right under law to access the records.

If the patient died without naming a personal representative or executor, state law determines who by default possesses the right. States often establish a hierarchy of persons based on their relationship to the deceased person. Typically this begins with an adult member of the immediate family, such as a spouse, child, or sibling.

For those family members, relatives, and others who had access to the health information of the deceased prior to death, but had not qualified as a “personal representative” of the decedent under HIPAA Privacy Rule 164.502(g)(4) the final Privacy Rule allows covered entities to disclose a decedent’s protected health information to family members and others who were involved in the care or payment for care of the descendent prior to death, unless doing so is inconsistent with any prior expressed preference of the individual that is known to the covered entity.

Q: Does this change the personal representative’s rights under HIPAA?

A: This change to the Privacy Rule does not change the authority of the decedent’s personal representative.  The personal representative continues to have the right to access the decedent’s protected health information and have authority to authorize use and disclosures of the decedent’s protected health information that are not otherwise permitted or required by the HIPAA Privacy Rule.

Q: What legal documents ensure the right to access a deceased patient’s medical records?

A: A combination of the patient’s death certificate and a court document establishing estate executorship is sufficient to establish one’s right. In some states, alternative documentation can also be used.

Where a person does not rise to the level of personal representative, the HITECH-HIPAA final rule at 164.510(b) permits, subject to any prior expressed preference of the individual, a covered entity to disclose relevant protected health information, which may include persons who held a healthcare proxy for the individual or a medical power of attorney.

Q: What documentation or information will I need to meet the “reasonable assurance” for access to decedent’s medical record if I am not the personal representative? 

A. Reasonable Assurance criteria could be met by the person by indicating to the covered entity how he or she is related to the decedent or offering sufficient details about the decedent’s circumstances prior to death to indicate involvement in the decedent’s care.

Q: Do I have to go to probate court and become the executor of the deceased’s estate in order to access his medical records?

A: It depends on the state. Some state laws require people to submit legal proof of executorship to healthcare organizations in order to access records.

Other states follow a hierarchy of who becomes, by default, the personal representative of a deceased patient if the patient dies without naming an executor (as described above).

The Privacy Rule removes only the HIPAA requirement to deceased protected health information for family members and others who were involved in the care or payment for care of the decedent prior to death.  Some states may be more stringent than HIPAA.

Q: How do I find my state’s requirements and restrictions for releasing a deceased patient’s medical record?

A: The HIM department supervisor or the privacy officer of a local hospital can provide details on your state’s release-of-information laws. A local legal assistance group, particularly one that assists seniors, is another good resource.

Q: Does HIPAA forbid me from seeing my deceased relative’s medical records?

A: The federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) grants privacy protections to a person’s medical information up to 50-years post death. However, HIPAA also establishes that a patient’s designated personal representative has a legal right to access the patient’s records. A healthcare provider must provide the records to his or her designated personal representative if one exists. HIPAA leaves the definition of a personal representative up to individual state law.

The final Privacy Rule now opens the ability for family members, relatives, and others, who may have had difficulty obtaining access to such information.  The amendment to 164.510(b) permits covered entities to disclose a decedent’s information to family members and others who were involved in the care or payment for care of the decedent prior to the death, unless doing so is inconsistent with any prior expressed preference of the individual that is known to the covered entity.

However, these disclosures are permitted and not required and thus, a covered entity that questions the relationship of the person to the decedent or otherwise believes, based on the circumstances, that the disclosure of the decedent’s protected health information would not be appropriate, is not required to make the disclosure.

Q: I feel like I’m getting the run-around at my local hospital. Who can help me?

A: First talk to the hospital’s HIM department supervisor. Ask him or her to explain exactly what papers you would need to access the deceased patient’s record. The hospital’s privacy officer also can help determine if you have the right to access the record, and he or she can explain your specific state law.

If you are not allowed access to the records even if you have provided proper evidence of your right, file a written complaint with the Office for Civil Rights, which enforces the HIPAA privacy rule. Consulting an attorney who specializes in healthcare is another option.

Q: Is a signed HIPAA form authorizing release of medical records sufficient to view a patient’s records after his or her death?

A: Yes, the new provision 164.510(b) permits covered entities to disclose a decedent’s protected health information to family members and others who were involved in the care or payment for care of the descendent prior to death, unless doing so is inconsistent with any prior expressed preference of the individual that is known to the covered entity.  This may include persons who held a healthcare proxy for the individual or a medical power of attorney or a signed HIPAA authorization form.

Q: Does a medical power of attorney grant access to a patient’s records after his or her death?

A: Yes, the new provision 164.510(b) permits covered entities to disclose a decedent’s protected health information to family members and others who were involved in the care or payment for care of the descendent prior to death, unless doing so is inconsistent with any prior expressed preference of the individual that is known to the covered entity.  This may include persons who held a healthcare proxy for the individual or a medical power of attorney.

Q: Do special exemptions allow me to access the medical records of long-deceased patients for family genealogy projects or historical study?

A: Yes. The final Privacy Rule has removed a patient’s privacy rights 50 years after death and thus no longer subject to the Privacy Rule.  However, state laws may still apply.  Ask the facility what state law dictates.

Q: Is access to a deceased person’s psychiatric or substance abuse records treated any differently than access to other medical records?

A: HIPAA governs most healthcare providers and the records they keep; however, a different federal law governs many substance abuse programs (42 CFR Part 2). A substance abuse program can be covered under one, both, or neither regulation, depending on how it is funded.

Regarding deceased patient records, 42 CFR §2.15(b)(2) requires the facility to release records to a personal representative, such as an executor, administrator, or other person appointed under state law. However, stating that if there is no legally appointed personal representative, consent may be given by the patient’s spouse; if no spouse is present, consent may be given by any “responsible member” of the patient’s family.

Covered entities may continue to provide privacy protections to decedent information beyond the 50-year period, and may be required to do so under other applicable laws or as part of their professional responsibility.  Alternatively, covered entities may choose to destroy decedent’s information although other applicable law may prescribe or limit such destruction.

Psychiatric record disclosures follow the same rules as HIPAA, unless they receive additional protection under individual state law.


To browse additional Patient Resources articles, click here.

Journal of AHIMA has published several articles that patients and caregivers may find useful in their efforts to better understand and manage their personal health information—whether looking for guidance on how to get the records request ball rolling or simply wanting to find some general information on privacy rights.


A special thank you to Mary Thomason, MSA, RHIA, CHPS, CISSP, senior compliance consultant at Intermountain Healthcare in Salt Lake City, for her contributions.

Other contributors, who updated this article in April 2013, include:

-Chris Apgar, CISSP, president of Apgar & Associates, LLC, a nationally recognized expert in information security, privacy, transaction and code sets, national identifier, HIPAA and electronic health information exchange.

-Judi Hofman CAP, CHP, CHSS, a privacy and information security officer for a four-hospital health system in central Oregon.  Hofman has been co-chair for the American Health Information Management Association’s ( national Privacy and Security Practice Council, is a contributing author, and presents nationally on HIPAA privacy and security.

-Kirk Nahra, JD, partner at Wiley Rein, a firm specializes in healthcare privacy law, and member of the Confidentiality, Privacy and Security subgroup for American Health Information Community (AHIC).


  1. This law prohibits important live saving information to be given to children of millions of children whose parents deserted them or disowned them as is the case with far too many fathers today. I fully understand HIPPA & have had to work around it in my prior profession. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on how to get records on a father that hated that you were born?

  2. I would like to know if I would be able to acquire my grandfathers medical records from back in then 50’s, we lived in Greenport Long Island and he passed away there at the ELIH in 1959. For my DNA records and my blood type I need to know his blood type because he might really be my father, I would love to be able to get his medical records to find out his blood type, he was a patient in the hospital several times.I feel the need to put closesur on my life and it would make me feel so much better knowing he was my father.Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Patricia Long Carey
    His name was Luther Claire Long

  3. My uncle passed and I had a insurance policy on him. The hospital will not release his medical records to the insurance company after I filled out the medical record release form to be released to the insurance company. The hospital said the son who signed the death certificate has do sign the form and then the son was told he has to file in probate first before they can release but my uncle was still legally married but separated from his wife for 17 years and up until death. What’s the next step.

  4. I am convinced that the lab that completed my sons toxicology report was given the wrong labs. My son did drugs and drank the night of his death. His results showed no alcohol or drugs in his system. When I called TBI to inform them that I fully believe that the blood they tested does not belong to my son. Age 28. They called me back the next day and said I would need to go get a court order and then they could release the blood samples they have to me and I can assume cost for retesting and cross matching my DNA. I had to go to court to become the executor of his estate. I was already the NOK. He was not married , no children, father deceased in 2006. Will my court documents from his executo of estate papers work to secure this sample of the blood they are saying is my sons? I fear trying to go to court will delay things and they will soon dispose of his blood samples.

  5. My late husbands insrance company will not allow me to work with them to take care of a denial of payment for an ambulance service. They won’t talk with me without seeing legal papers. Is this legal?

    1. Once someone dies, the person is dead and not responsible for bills. But a spouse maybe?

  6. I would like to obtain the medical records of both my now deceased parents, Marion Giltner Kusnierczak and William J. Kusnierczak , both were patients at the Mount Morris TB hospital in the early 1940’s. The hospital has been closed for some decades and now , I believe is a Nursing Home. Any information as to where I could obtain these records or where I would begin would be greatly appreciated. I don’t even know if the records are stored somewhere or not.

  7. My son died. My son and his fiancé lived together for 15 years. However the state they lived in did not except common law marriage. But they had medical insurance threw her work. The insurance company is wanting a power of attorney to look at his medical records to see if they are going to cover him. They had joint medical insurance. They are now asking me his mother to give a power of attorney to see his medical records. But the insurance company will not talk to me because they had medical insurance jointly with his fiancé. I am not willing to just hand over a power of attorney to them. what are my options. Why can’t his fiancé do this. It is her insurance. She is the responsible person on his medical bills. He was able to sign when they admitted him but they did not know he was going to turn so badly so fast. I live in a different state then they did. They lived in Utah and I live in New Mexico.

  8. Hoping can help.
    I am trying to find more information about my Great Uncle Ronald Reginald Thompson, born 11th Sept and died 10th March 1972. He was a patient at Claybury Hospital Harlow. I would like to know where he is buried/crematorium. Any medical records, so would like to know more about his condition. Thank you

    1. Sorry born 11th Sept 1939 and died 10th March 1972

  9. My family and I have some questions. My sister died on January 17,2017. Her cause of death is pending at this time. For the last two years she was in an abusive relationship and both her and her husband were drug abusers. My mother’s name is on her death certificate and we were told by the medical examiner that gave her the right to access her medical records. The hospital is now saying no because she was married. Her husband is a POS drug addict and getting him to sign anything will be impossible. We need answers for closure. We need to know exactly what happened and was happening for the last two years she was in and out of the hospital.
    Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

  10. My mom died in kingman az they are. Things. Don’t add up to her died . she was life wind she got kingman. Az. Two day after she got they. Breathing. Thing heart We don’t. Now what real happen to my mom .piss. Off .

  11. My mother passed away in 2002 and my step father passed away recently I found out that my mother had a baby in 1966 I would like to see her medical records from 1965 and 1966 Iam looking for my biological father and the baby boy she had in 1966

  12. death cert, says suicide police report says drownding he was medinal heath dr i am hippa on this how can i get all his cause of death they said he was floating in water but i think there was some flowplay in this wife does not want me to have anything what can i do??? please help me

    1. how do i acess my deceased sons records.

  13. I have a brother in prison for sbs, he needs his daughters records for a retrial is there any why he can obtain those even while in prison.

    1. Being in prison should NOT affect his rights to the records, but I would not inform the provider of that because they will be less cooperative. If they want him to come in, simply inform them tat he is unable.

      I hope justice prevails at his retrial, since it obviously didn’t at his first trial.

      1. I need to see if I can get my mothers medical recorder’she is deceased

  14. My mother recently passed.she had been taken down for a routine procedure. We got conflicting stories of what happened. We now are concerned that she may have been given something that she was allergic to, causing her death. Do we have the right to view her medical records, if we feel something wrong occurred.

  15. My husband passed away from a combination of lymphoma and coronary artery disease. I am the executor of the estate and I want to see his medical records because I do believe the doctors did not act in his best interest. Do I just request this info under the hipaa law? Whatever I need to do, I’ll do it.

    1. Don’t give up. I am having same experience. Too many Drs. think why bother? They do not act in their best interest. No one should decide when someone dies. Their oath is do no harm.

  16. My daughter is disabled and I am her legal guardian, how can I obtain a copy of her deceased father’s pathology report if his wife of less than 30 days will not provide us a copy?

    1. Ask the coroner to launch a criminal investigation since she is clearly trying to hide something from you and your daughter.

  17. I found out i need a new heart my mother is dead has been for a while the hospital were she died close i trying to get her records she left no will i am her olders daughter, I now nothing about my family medical history the doctors keep asking me i having nothing to tell .Can you help and tell me what to do ty.

    1. I don’t mean to be rude, but there are so many grammatical and spelling errors that I couldn’t tell what you were saying, please clarify.

    2. I understand exactly what you mean; it is not you who is rude. I hope you were able to resolve your issue.

  18. I constantly get request to release medical record to insurance companies, in those cases it is the spouse that signs the authorization. I understand all the information provided, and it is great info!. But if the insurance company is stating that the person that signs the authorization is the beneficiary of the policy. Will I be able to release the record if the person signing the authorization is the beneficiary?

  19. I constantly get request to release medical record to insurance companies, in those cases it is the spouse that signs the authorization. I understand all the information provided, and it is great info!. But if the insurance company is stating that the person that signs the authrization is the beneficiary of the policy. Will I be able to release the record if the person signing the authorization is the beneficiary?

  20. I am wondering where I would start for getting medical records from the 1930’s on my mother who died in 1992. As a young girl her dress caught fire and as a result had burns on her upper body. She grew up in the Harrisburg, Pa area. I don’t know which hospital. I am trying to get the exact details to write a memoir of her life. Any help where to start would be appreciated. I do have her death certificate. Thank you

  21. Yes I wanting to know how long hipaa recommend physicians to keep patient records after death?

    1. From what I can tell it’s usually 6-10 years.
      Which isnt great for me because I need records from 2007.

    2. 10 years in state of Nebraska. I work in medical records at a dr office.

  22. This has been informative. I recently lost my mother and my stepfather refuses to disclose my mothers medical history in order to help me inform my adult children as well as grandchildren. the medical signs they should be aware of in there own medical history.

  23. My mom passed away July 27th 2013 and I had the runaround getting her medical records..And Now I asked for a DPH investigation… They did one and Not the patient advocate at the hospital will not let me have them she said there sealed and I cant have them or the hospitals investigation…I am the executor…They said get a a lawyer to get them…Cause there hiding something I think…Whats ur oponion?

  24. how do i get medical records of my deceased wife.the insurance company will not pay car off without medical records evan though i sent them her death certificate. we lived in the state of arkansas.

  25. My mother died on August 16,2013 of pancreatic cancer, i requested her medical records from the doctors office, i was just notified by their office that they were advised not to release any medical records to me or the insurance company, without a court order signed by a judge, per their legal department, what do i have to do go get theses records, the insurance will not pay the claim, without those records, i was her caregiver, and was responsible for her well-being, i am the only named beneficiary on her insurance policy.
    What can i do without having to go to court, she did not have any assets, or property or anything, not even any money at all. PLEASE HELP ME,, PLEASE I NEED THIS MONEY TO PAY THE FINALLY PAY THE FUNERAL HOME THANKS FOR THE HELP

  26. My sister committed suicide on Oct. 12, 2011. I believe the statute of limitation expires on Oct. 12, 2013 so answers right now are deeply appreciated as I haven’t received much direction or answers from anyone…just the run-around. She left behind a 6 year old son. I am her younger sister by 2 years. My parents, siblings, etc. want to appoint me as representative. I am an Oregon resident, she was both Oregon and Washington but qualified as a Skamania Co., Washington resident at the time of her death. DHS, hospitals, etc. will not give me access. DHS did not convey my message to my sister or call an “intervention” meeting as requested. Can you point me in the direction of the correct form to fill out or procedure that I need to be appointed as her representative and also for a possibly “wrongful death” suit as the a friend had asked one of the Sheriff’s for help but was turned away and the hospital was required to keep her for observation (since she mentioned that she was suicidal) but released her…just hours later, she jumped off of the Bridge of the Gods. :(. There were mess ups with the local paper, the coroner and the evidence locker. I want justice for my sister, peace for my family and to be a voice for others so that they will not have to experience what we did. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP. Thank you so much!

  27. My mother passed away Jan. 4, 2013. She was divorced and only had three living children. How can I get her medical records when other two won’t appoint one of us as the administrator of her estate?

  28. I really appreciate this FAQ as I went through these hoops after a parent passed away. I would also recommend anyone going through this to hire a probate attorney who is experienced in these matters.

  29. I am trying to get information about a family member who was placed in a mental institution in Alabama in the early 1900’s. She died at this institution in 1929, and is buried on the grounds of the hospital. Her immediate family is deceased and has living grandchildren who are in their 80’s. what do we need to do to get access to her records?

  30. Can a sister of the deceased get medical records and pathology report in the state of minnesota. I am her executor of her estate and have all the other titles also, but when I went to the hospital to get records I was denied. What do I have to do now.

  31. My grandmother and siblings have tried to contact their brother for years. The lady who would go to my great uncles home would bathe him. She was a CNA from a home health. After his wife died she removed him from his home and moved him someplace elsewhere. She wouldn’t allow us to talk with or see him and this went on for 7years. She had gotten power of attorney over him. She had taken out 3 life insurances. A month before my uncle died, his will was changed that his share was will to her as a gift. There’s foul play. Wouldn’t you think. She should be going to jail. All this time we thought she was a girlfriend because my uncle said she was. We finally got a phone call december 28, 2012 sending a message to his oldest sister stating that her brother died. His siblings what’s medical records. How can they get a copy? Funeral home said he had a lot of bed sores. We need answers. Seem like she planned this to get his money.

  32. My father and I were estranged for 6 years prior to his death. He had left my family when I was 5 yet we kept in touch a little bit here and there. He did deal with addictions to prescription medicines, I think mostly narcotics, but I’m not quite sure. I know he claimed disability after he left in 1979 and dealt with some mental issues. When he passed away in August of 1999 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, the 3 children he had, including me were not informed of what exactly happened. The only living person that was close to him and related to him with his father and although my grandfather and I were close, he never disclosed what happened. He was very private about it for some reason and just stated that it was something heart related. I would really like to know the medical history of my father because obviously genetics play a major role in our health. Please, if anyone knows of a way that I can access or be privy to his medical records please let me know. My siblings and I are all very healthy people yet we seem to have high cholesterol and other things that just don’t seem to add up. I’m truly hoping that someone can help me find out how to access my deceased fathers medical records from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. I would be extremely grateful. Thank you.

    1. I would think that you could go to the hospital and get the records without your Grandfather even needing to know about it. It does seem strange that he’d be so private about it, maybe he is afraid his own personal medical info would be revealed, but since that would be family health info,you are entitled to it. Keep in mind, your parents and your children are YOUR “First Kin” which gives you precedence.

      Call the County Health Department for starters, they’ll guide you how to go about the process. Avoid paying a lawyer to do the legwork for you, it should be a simple matter: relative’s name, social security number, last address, death certificate, maybe your own ID like drivers liscense, SSA no., etc. Be prepared to pay for copies.

      Decide ahead of time if a synopsis of your fathers medical history, rather than visit-by-visit MD notes and lab reports, will suffice for your needs. Then take your time reading through the file and write down what seems important. You can also take very crisp photos on your phone. Ask ahead of time if there would be a charge for making your own copies in that manner. Or don’t ask, just do it! (I’m reminded of our bank telling me our credit report, which WE PAID A SEPARATE CHARGE FOR, that could NOT make copies to take home (that we PAID for!!). Sometimes, it’s just better to ask for a private area to look over the file, then take your photos, or even video it! (make sure your camera/phone sound effects are off). Good Luck

  33. How long does a hospital have to keep medical records? I am trying to get information concerning my fathers cancer surgery for Aug.1974, but the hospital said they only have records back to 1981. My father died in 1996. I am in the state of Alabama.

  34. How does a long time partner become a personal representative in order to access medical records after death of their partner? Medical and General Power of Attorney cease once person dies. Should a will have been made? Thanks

  35. What are the HIPPA laws in New Hampshire for accessing my son’s records from an independent living (job search) service company. He was bipolar (I have no mental illness diagnoses) and my son (who could be irrational, at times) denied me access during his life, even though he lived with me and I helped him in many ways. I believe I could have saved his life if I could have been involved. He had no estate or family besides myself and his sister. Do I have to go through an expensive court proceeding in order to get to become his personal representative? Can I present his birth certificate and death certificate only? This service company told me I need to go to probate. I thought New Hampshire had more lenient restrictions on the HIPPA law.

  36. The deceased was a suicide. Her Executor is a far away family member, rather than an immediate one. Does the Executor have any obligation to the entire rest of family to request any med or Dr. info about treatment of the deceased? Meds perscribed, mention of depression or wishing to die? Mainly meds history. Entire large family never got any info, tox screen results, or otherwise. Do fam members have a right to the info? Is Executor obligated at all? Thx.

    1. I was wondering if I can obtain copies or gain access of treatment and psychiatric treatment records and Doctor records for my deceased fiance. We have a year and a half old daughter together and he took his own life just over a month ago. He never appointed anyone to be his reprisentative his property that was being held for investigation was released to myself and I have been sent the autopsy and toxicology enforcememt was involved when he took his own life. He had some serious health concerns and the baby is being treated for similar health issues. I live in Wa. And was wondering if I would need to go to court to be appointed POA. He is also a registered Tribal Memberthe Tribein which I would like to obtain the information from is not the tribe he is registered to but is the Nation that medically treated him for the passed three years. Please let me know if you have any advice or answers for me. Thank you.

      1. I was told I have to see ajudge to get mdicsl records. I took csre of her for 7 years Handled her money everything she was disabled.

        1. I just heard about this today. I will find a judge.

      2. In Washington State, you should be able to request medical records for the purposes of health care (for your daughter) even though they are not her medical records. Since her father is deceased, he obviously cannot consent to the release. You may get some push-back if the person releasing the records is not fully aware of state law. (It may help if you are requesting the records to be released directly to another medical provider and not to yourself.)

        If he has any surviving relatives that could authorize the release, this might make your task easier. In WA, the hierarchy is: spouse, adult children, parents, adult siblings. If any of these are available and willing, their signature on a release form with a death certificate could see you in possession of any records you need. (I can’t speak for the Tribal Nations, unfortunately.)

    2. I don’t see a date that you posted this… It is EXACTLY my situation… Can you tell me if you have had any success in obtaining the medical records? If so, how? Thank you so much for your time. With regrets for you and I.

  37. Going to court is certainly financially burdensome on the deceased patient’s family. Does anything exist such as a pre-death authorization by the patient for release of records necessary for the processing of a life insurance claim?
    Obviously, if the patient had purchased life insurance, the patient expected the benefits to be paid

  38. Need fathers ss# deceasesd 2002

  39. I work with a provider that had a 17 year old die unexpectedly, the parents are being investigated by the Tennessee law do we release the records to the parents.

  40. AHIMA needs to print an article outlining each state’s laws about who has the right to a deceased patient’s records. This would save all members a lot of time. thanks

    1. I would LOVE to see a state by state guide as well.

      1. I agree too. This type of information should be easily accessible from each state and should not be difficult to assemble for hospital referencing.

      2. How can one obtain a copy of their Mother’s hospital records, when needed for the sons medical care?

    2. URMC, the Hospital in Upson County Ga has rufused to give the Records of my child who was killed. They never gave me the Correct records to begin with, just a vague bill that has no Dr Notes or any drugs or procedures they performed. I have went up there several times and they either conceal them from me or refuse to give me her records. They have gave me a Criminal No Tresspassing Warning for trying to get my records. Allana was only 8 and was hit by a car and killed. I think they don’t wanna give me my records because they must of done something to cause her death, why else would you illegally hide records from her Mother (me) who has soul custody. I can’t think of another reason why you would mislead me or refuse Records to me. I have tried to hire a lawyer cause my law suit is about the School Bus being 20 min early and he didn’t put out the Stop lights. My Lawyer still requested me to get the Records. He didn’t know how to go about his job either. Why would a Hospital refuse Records unless they are at fault. They have sent Investigators to my house twice in one day over me contacting their lawyer. I was suppose to get my Hippa Rights from their lawyer, they told me they couldn’t give me Rights. The Coroner was suppose to send my child for an Autopsy because of her dieing from a Homicide, Dieing a Violent Death, Not under a Dr’s care 24 hours prior to death, Unknown Cause of Death, Dieing on Ga State Owened Property, Under age 16. She was not sent for an Autopsy and her Cause of Death was Trauma Arrest, which is to Vague of a term to use. Also the blood they drew for the Toxicology Report was not taken from a GBI agent but although the blood was sent via US Mail and doesn’t have all proper names and titles. There are alot of laws broken in her case. I just wanna know why you would say you lost my child’s records then say Your client disposed of them and then say that you didn’t put them in the computer. There is no Coroner Report either.

      1. Don’t give up! They are waiting for you to give up. I am trying too.

      2. OMG!!!! Just saw this, like the other woman said, don’t give up!!! I swear I hope and pray that you get the answers that you deserve, that every single person that had even a single finger involved in your precious daughters accident gets what they deserve and justice is done. I know that nothing will bring her back, but I also hope that there’s a settlement to take care of you for the rest of your life without worrying how to pay your bills. That is the least they can do, but first they need to finally come clean and admit what they did. Also never forget that your daughter was so special that God needed her to be with him to help watch over you. I hope that you can somehow find peace. ☺️

      3. I think you might only have 2 years to file a lawsuit. Get a new attorney. Also, write to your state representatives, the attorney general’s office and file a police report documenting they will not give you the records.

      4. Did you go to your county magistrate? I’m having a hard time getting my moms. She died after wanting to go home. I was told by her new husband of 1.5 years that the doctor said he had to put her back in a coma. He used Dilantin for the second time and lost all lung function. The hospital told me I don’t have the rights to get it. Her will came up missing and it’s not on file or in her home. That gave her new husband all rights and he locked her medical record so no one can get it. It feels like a cover up. I was extremely healthy until 6 months after she died. I developed exercise induced asthma and have 6 specialist. I’m not sure if it’s just nc but I am always told nothing is wrong when I go to the er, but I get a prescription and referred to a specialist instead of them fixing me. I also can’t get disability. Tried 6 times.

        1. Did your mom put you down for regular dr visits to get her health info? So they could tell
          Me at her drs office cause she had me sign. But at her hospital she died at i didn’t she was in a coma. File a complaint with the hospital her husband isn’t being corporate. They may rule in your favor especially since you want to know if anything is hereditary and tell them you just need to see it writing .if that don’t work is write the state medical board explain your case. I mean you are her blood relative what state do you live in and did she leave power of attorney

Comments are closed.