The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Board of Directors has launched a nationwide search to find the next AHIMA CEO.
The AHIMA Board is encouraging qualified AHIMA members to apply for the position—though the search is open to all applicants. Click here to review the job posting and qualifications.
The CEO position search committee includes past AHIMA Board members and distinguished members of the HIM community—with a national executive search firm, CES Partners, assisting the committee with the search.
The search committee has said the ideal candidate for AHIMA CEO would be a leader with 10 years of progressive healthcare executive leadership experience who “has a proven track record of transformational leadership and financial acumen,” the job posting states. Candidates should also have demonstrated success leading an organization or a significant unit of a larger organization, and have a master’s degree. Having an AHIMA certification is also strongly preferred.
According to the posted job description, some other candidate qualifications include:
- Working with a volunteer board of a membership association
- Leading a large professional staff
- Managing a large, multi-million dollar complex business enterprise
- Working with health information management (HIM) public policy issues, trends, and stakeholders
- Solid, demonstrable business acumen
- Strategic planning, management, and experience
- Broad knowledge of and passion for the HIM field and AHIMA membership
- Existing strong relationships and solid awareness of HIM alliances, vendors, and other key industry influencer organizations, nationally and globally.
The CEO of AHIMA reports to the AHIMA Board of Directors and also provides leadership to the AHIMA Foundation, Council for Excellence in Education, and the Commission on Certification for Health Informatics and Information Management (CCHIIM).
The CEO search committee will evaluate and interview candidates in the coming months and select a small number of well-qualified individuals for consideration by the AHIMA Board. The board expects to complete the search by end of the year.
While the search for a permanent replacement is conducted, AHIMA Vice President of Policy and Government Relations, Pamela Lane, MS, RHIA, is serving as interim CEO.
“The board is excited to work with a new CEO to write the next chapter in AHIMA’s distinguished 89-year history at a time when both the healthcare industry and the HIM profession are experiencing rapid transformation,” said Ann Chenoweth, MBA, RHIA, FAHIMA, president of the AHIMA Board of Directors.
Candidates are encouraged to review the job posting and send letters of interest and resumes to the attention of Barry R. Cesafsky, FACHE, President and CEO, CES Partners, Ltd., 1314 Kensington Road, #5195, Oak Brook, Illinois 60522-5195; email@example.com.
Members of the search committee include:
- Vera Rulon, MS, RHIT, FAHIMA, founder and president, Tir Health Advisors LLC
- Mervat Abdelhak, PhD, RHIA, FAHIMA, chair and associate professor, University of Pittsburgh, department of health information management
- Cassi L. Birnbaum, MS, RHIA, CPHQ, FAHIMA, system-wide director of health information management and revenue integrity, University of California San Diego Health
- Donna Bowers, JD, RHIA, CHP, vice president – cardiology and oncology service lines, SCL Health
- Liz Curtis, MA, RHIA, CHPS, FAHIMA, administrative director, medical information management, Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Tina Esposito, MBA, RHIA, vice president of information and technology innovation, Advocate Health Care
- Beth Haenke Just, MBA, RHIA, FAHIMA, founder and CEO, Just Associates
- Ryan Sandefer, PhD, chair and assistant professor, College of St. Scholastica, department of health informatics and information management
Click here for more information about the open CEO position.