- “Managing the POA Reporting Process (Updated)” provides an overview of the POA indicator and a checklist to help organizations manage compliance with POA reporting requirements. It replaces the November 2007 practice brief “Planning for Present on Admission.”
- “Developing a Coding Compliance Policy Document( Updated)”outlines the components of a coding compliance policy document.
- “An APC Checklist (Updated)” provides guidance on how organizations can use HIM processes to optimize success with OPPS.
- “Key Points of the UB-04 (Updated)” addresses the latest update to the paper UB-04 and what it means for HIM professionals. It also provides a brief overview of the electronic institutional claim, the American National Standards Institute Accredited Standards Committee X12N 837 version 5010.
- “The Evolution of DRGs (Updated)” provides an overview of the DRG system and its evolution from a grouping system for utilization review purposes to a tool for reimbursement to a tool that also encompassed severity and risk measurement.
- “Internet Resources for Accurate Coding and Reimbursement Practices (Updated)” offers links to Internet resources for coding professionals in all settings.
- “The Care and Maintenance of Chargemasters (Updated)” outlines best practices for chargemaster maintenance.
Additional practice briefs will be updated throughout the year. Stay tuned to the Journal Web site for the latest list of updated titles.